[X2go-dev] Use case for an x2go user-group

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Feb 18 20:34:06 CET 2011

On 02/18/2011 02:14 PM, Alexander Wuerstlein wrote:
> On 11-02-18 19:59, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Indeed, that would.
>>>
>>> AFAIUI, you also agree that this is a pretty obscure corner case that is
>>> not worth to have as default. Therefore, I suggest to drop the sudo
>>> stuff completely and install x2gowrapper as 'suid x2gouser' so that no
>>> additional configuration is necessary. With this change, the use-case
>>> above doesn't work anymore.
>>>
>>> In order to restore that functionality, the database schema would need
>>> to be extended to implement a blacklist. And in fact, your explanation
>>> kindof confirms that a blacklist would be more suited than the current
>>> whitelist (i.e., the x2gousers group) approach.
>>>

>> Are you implying that every user on any x2go server would be able to
>> launch a remote x2go desktop by default?
>>
> Yes.

That would be a security hole.

>> We don't have any problems with the current mechanism of 'x2gousers'
>> providing the control.
>>
>> And in fact in most OS you see 'groups' are specifically there for the
>> express purpose of controlling access to functionality.
>>
> Yes, but in large setups, groups become very hard to manage. Large
> groups with thousands of users tend to be an administration burden, also
> a large number of additional groups for each user tends to be
> problematic with many operating systems or setups (NIS, SQL, older
> unices, etc).

Well, qualified sysadmins have been managing large installations quite
successfully for about 50 years now.

>> In many companies only certain employees such as field personnel or
>> sales are permitted remote desktop access.  And the 'x2gousers' group
>> suits this purpose well.
>>
> Yes, it does on small scales.

No, on any scale.

> And our approach wouldn't make the
> 'x2gousers' group go away if you still want to use it: You can simply
> make the x2gowrapper executable only for that group and not for others.
> Then you have exactly the same functionality as with 'sudo', but without
> the hassle of setting up the sudo configuration (wich does never seem to
> work automatically on installation). That would also be the suggested
> migration path i guess. Additionally you can of course use database
> black/whitelists, or you can set x2gowrapper o+rx and only use database
> black/whitelists. In that sense our approach would also be far more
> flexible than the current sudo approach.

It doesn't make the 'x2gousers' group go away.  But it removes all the
'sudo' functionality which does it's job of auditing and control very well.

I don't get what is complained about here:  sudo being difficult.  It is
not difficult at all.  Use 'visudo' as you should and it works very well.

If you try direct access to the sudoers file then you have to take extra
precautions.  If you're not doing that then of course you will run into
problems.

Regards,
Gerry