[X2go-dev] Use case for an x2go user-group

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Feb 18 19:59:03 CET 2011

On 02/18/2011 01:18 PM, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 18:52:28 (CET), John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 17:18 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>The question is if there was a legitimate use-case for having users
>>> that can login via ssh, but are not in the x2gousers group, i.e., cannot
>>> login via x2go.
>>>
>> <snip>
>> It's a bit of a stretch but I could see it in hosted environments like
>> ours.  Although we do not do this specifically, let's say there is an
>> application server which is also hosting X2Go desktops.  The client may
>> have an external consultant/support person who should not have a
>> billable X2Go desktop but does need console access to support the
>> application via, say, a VPN connection.
>>
>> Come to think of it, I suppose that is not just a hosting issue.  A
>> company using X2Go may not want to give desktop access to consultants
>> who are supporting applications running on the same server.  That sounds
>> like poor practice but there may be some legitimate reason to do that
>> which we haven't considered.  Is that more in line with what you were
>> asking? Thanks - John
>>
> Indeed, that would.
>
> AFAIUI, you also agree that this is a pretty obscure corner case that is
> not worth to have as default. Therefore, I suggest to drop the sudo
> stuff completely and install x2gowrapper as 'suid x2gouser' so that no
> additional configuration is necessary. With this change, the use-case
> above doesn't work anymore.
>
> In order to restore that functionality, the database schema would need
> to be extended to implement a blacklist. And in fact, your explanation
> kindof confirms that a blacklist would be more suited than the current
> whitelist (i.e., the x2gousers group) approach.

Are you implying that every user on any x2go server would be able to
launch a remote x2go desktop by default?

We don't have any problems with the current mechanism of 'x2gousers'
providing the control.

And in fact in most OS you see 'groups' are specifically there for the
express purpose of controlling access to functionality.

In many companies only certain employees such as field personnel or
sales are permitted remote desktop access.  And the 'x2gousers' group
suits this purpose well.

I would not want to see the existing mechanism changed in the way being
proposed.

Regards,
Gerry