[X2go-dev] Use case for an x2go user-group

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Fri Feb 18 18:52:28 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 17:18 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> <snip>The question is if there was a legitimate use-case for having users
> that can login via ssh, but are not in the x2gousers group, i.e., cannot
> login via x2go.
<snip>
It's a bit of a stretch but I could see it in hosted environments like
ours.  Although we do not do this specifically, let's say there is an
application server which is also hosting X2Go desktops.  The client may
have an external consultant/support person who should not have a
billable X2Go desktop but does need console access to support the
application via, say, a VPN connection.

Come to think of it, I suppose that is not just a hosting issue.  A
company using X2Go may not want to give desktop access to consultants
who are supporting applications running on the same server.  That sounds
like poor practice but there may be some legitimate reason to do that
which we haven't considered.  Is that more in line with what you were
asking? Thanks - John