[X2go-dev] bug tracking survey (was: Re: re Project Management)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Thu Feb 3 15:35:35 CET 2011

Hi folks,

On Do 03 Feb 2011 15:01:14 CET Moritz Struebe wrote:

> [...] To do so we need a code review, distribution quality
> packaging and a SCM (all said before).

Another thing I have prepared last week is a bug tracker (as already
posted on the upstream x2go-dev list). As a bugtracking product I
would like to propose the Horde Bugtracker WHUPS, the main focus for
proposing WHUPS is usability for outsiders.

WHUPS can be filled with tickets by mail or via a web interface. For
mail injection into WHUPS we currently have two different mail
addresses set up:

   bugs at x2go.org (-> creates a bug report)
   patches at x2go.org (-> creates Enhancement requests)

When using mails you can also reply to ticket mails and if you do not
change the subject line (esp. the ticket number) the reply will be
placed in context of the orignial ticket.

People who are interested in a specific issue can watch individual
tickets. All WHUPS communication is mirrored to the mailing list:

   x2go-bugs at lists.berlios.de

The web interface can be found here:
http://code.x2go.org/horde4/whups

However, ticket status updates (bug report has been accepted, issue is
resolved, issue is assigned to Heinz etc.) has currently to be done
via the web interface. It should be possible to tweak the mail2ticket
import filter to enable such functionality, but that's is science
fiction.

What I need from all the (future) X2go developers (including Heinz and
Alex) and also from potential packagers (for reporting upstream bugs)
is a feedback, if you want to use this system or if you rather prefer
another approach.

I will use another vhost of this Horde site for my own customer
projects in the future, as well, so the effort I put into this had to
be invested anyway. Means: no problem if you/we want to choose another
approach. However, I will also be happy, if you like WHUPS... ;-)

The process of setting up the X2go bugtracker has directly been
communicated and planned with Heinz (and indirectly with Alex).
However, it is not yet decided if the X2go project really wants to use
this system.

What I would like to collect now with this mail, is feedback and votes
for or against this bugtracker product, so that we can start using it
productively.

BTW: Normal issue reporters do not need a WHUPS/Horde account. Only
developers need a login in order to edit/update tickets and their
status.

Greetings,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B