[X2go-Dev] Informations about sshfs and mounting local device

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Dec 22 20:08:11 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 12:10 +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> On Do 22 Dez 2011 11:37:15 CET Jean Milot wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Yes, i use Freenx Server for now.
> >
> > And, i would like to know how it works for X2Go.
> >
> > What have you done and what problems have you had ?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> The handshake for SSHFS mounting (server -> client) is:
>
>    o client sets up a reverse SSH port forwarding tunnel so that you
>      can login from server to client, even if the client is behind a firewall
>    o client generates temporary SSH pub/priv key pair
>    o a script on the server is then issued by the client
>    o with this script the client places this temp SSH privkey and a known_hosts
>      file that works for the client-side sshd on the server
>    o from this script also sshfs mounting (server -> client) is issued
>    o once the mount has been successfull, all temporary credentials are removed
>      from the server again (as I said: temporary)
>
> You might want to take a closer look at the ,,x2gomountdirs'' script
> in X2Go server and the appropriate locations in x2goclient or
> python-x2go. Tell me what language (C++ or Python) you prefer for code
> diving and I will point you to the right places in the code.

<Snip>
If I recall correctly, there is also an issue with some distributions
(particularly Ubuntu) where doing the mount provokes a new media dialog
for all NX users connected to the server.  I believe this is why X2Go
actually does the mount in /tmp and then makes a symbolic link back to
the user's home directory - John