[X2go-Dev] Can not use FreeNX alongside latest X2Go packages

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Fri Dec 16 22:51:25 CET 2011

Am 16.12.2011 22:32, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Fr 16 Dez 2011 16:10:08 CET Stefan Baur wrote:
>
>> During my debug session, I noticed that these two packages:
>>> ii libxcompext3 1:3.5.0-1-0~x2go-bpo1+lenny~main~36~build1 NX X11
>>> protocol compression extensions library
>>> ii libxcompshad3 3.5.0-2-0~x2go-bpo1+lenny~main~24~build1 NX
>>> shadowing library
>
> Please try the NX packages from the heuler Repos. We have
> re-engineered building NX packages for Debian/Ubuntu. The heuler
> packages should be fully compatible with FreeNX. Though the
> nxagent/nxauth binaries are not yet tested.
>
> If you encounter any problems with those, please report that here.

So I should add
deb http://packages.x2go.org/debian squeeze heuler
to my sources.list, is that correct?

>> So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling them.
>> Trying to uninstall them, I got a warning that this would uninstall
>> the FreeNX packages as well, so I repackaged all of the named
>> packages (freenx
>> freenx-media, freenx-session-launcher, freenx-rdp, freenx-server,
>> freenx-vnc, nxagent, x2goserver-printing, x2goserver-extensions,
>> x2goserver, x2goagent) using dpkg-repack just to be safe.
>
> Ok... should not be needed with the NX packages in the heuler Repos.
>
>> After that, I proceeded with the uninstall/reinstall and re-added the
>> FreeNX packages.
>
> From what repos do you install FreeNX, I would like to cross-check
> your experience.

I had used
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

but it seems they are broken:
apt-get install --reinstall freenx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of freenx is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

I think I saw a message mentioning errors with this repository on the
freenx-knx mailing list a short while ago, but hadn't bothered, as I
kept local copies of the required *.deb files...

Trying
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

does pull new freenx*.deb packages, but not libxcompext3:
apt-get install --reinstall libxcompext3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of libxcompext3 is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

Trying to find out which libxcompext3 my system knows about, I tried this:
apt-cache show libxcompext3| egrep '(Maintainer|Version|Filename)'

With the following result (Newlines added for clarity):

Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com>
Version: 1:3.5.0-1-0ubuntu1
Filename: pool/main/n/nxcompext/libxcompext3_3.5.0-1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Version: 1:3.5.0-1-2
Maintainer: Oleksandr Shneyder <oleksandr.shneyder at obviously-nice.de>
Filename: pool/main/libx/libxcompext3/libxcompext3_3.5.0-1-2_i386.deb

Maintainer: Oleksandr Shneyder <oleksandr.shneyder at obviously-nice.de>
Version: 1:3.5.0-1-0~x2go-bpo1+lenny~main~36~build1

The last one doesn't show a "Filename" entry and seems to be the one
currently installed on my system, judging by the matching "
1:3.5.0-1-0~x2go-bpo1+lenny~main~36~build1".

I'm anything but an expert on how to interpret this output.  Please let
me know if there are any specific commands I should try that might
provide further helpful info.

Kind Regards,
Stefan