[X2go-Dev] 3.99 Testing - Huge browsing delays

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Aug 15 19:55:55 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 18:44 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi John, hi all,
>
> On Mi 03 Aug 2011 16:18:48 CEST "John A. Sullivan III" wrote:
>
> > 3.0.1-4 Windows client to 3.99.0.0 server with X2GoAgent 3.5: No delay
> > whatsoever - and that's after pounding it for a long time.
>
> This basically _very_ good new as it tells us that we have to look on
> the client side (I hope).
>
> > I know nothing about NX internals so I am just speculating here.  The
> > problem only seems to be with heavy AJAX applications as far as I can
> > tell.  Could it be related to how AJAX only paints part of the screen?
> > Could it be that NX does not pick up the screen change because if is
> > only a subportion of the application Window and done in a way different
> > from, for example, OpenOffice updates the area being typed? Could it be
> > that every certain number of seconds, NX checks the entire screen for
> > updates and that this timer is different in the various configurations
> > and maybe non existent with two mismatched Agents?
>
> So we should list up the differences between x2goclient 3.0.1-4
> (Windows and 3.99.0.x (also on Windows).
>
> There are many... Who can do this?
>
> > I have no idea but I would consider this a blocking bug.  I'll try to
> > squeeze some xkbwatch in this week - John
>
> Can you, John, or anyone else give a howto that explains how to
> reproduce this problem on a fresh server install (Debian squeeze) and
> a fresh client install (Windows, what version?, what arch? what
> Xserver? Etc.). We have to try to address this issue in a very generic
> way if we/you want it solved.
>
> Expecting a debugging recipe to trace this bug... THANKS!

We can produce this without fail in our Zimbra environment.  There is an
Zimbra live demo at http://www.zimbra.com/products/hosted_demo.php
I would think you could run this from any X2Go server although the
reliable problem for us is chat and I do not know if the Zimbra demo has
chat.

I think John Williams and others had readily reproducible non-Zimbra
procedures to produce this error including GMail (I do not know which
functions).

As I mentioned. the problem should be reproducible from any X2Go server
but, if you'd like, I can give you the credentials to login to one of
our demo systems.  Let me know if you prefer to go that route.

This and the printing crash are the two blocking bugs in my assessment.
Thanks - John