[X2go-dev] pending/x2godropbox patch

Heinz-M. Graesing x2go-dev at x2go.org
Tue Apr 19 11:12:16 CEST 2011

Hello Mike,

Am 18.04.2011 10:25, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
> Hi all,
>
> On Di 12 Apr 2011 18:08:26 CEST Mike Gabriel wrote:
>
>> Another hi-devs,
>>
>> I would also like to see my dropbox patch (needed for the X2goDropbox
>> in Pyhoca-GUI) in the x2gomountdirs script of x2goserver/master. If I
>> do not here a veto within the next four days, I will push the patch
>> to  code.x2go.org...

I don't want to comment on how this patch got into our git, I'm really
interested that it is introduced the right way. As we really do have a
lack of work flow how to WISH new features and what needs to be done to
apply such wished features to the core components, this is one of the
ways it can be done. Nevertheless it would be nice to introduce every
step on our mailing list with a regarding topic.

As this is a feature which doesn’t cooperate with our main components at
the moment and it is not an announced feature of the upcoming release, I
do have some questions to ask:

Can you please describe for everybody what this patch is doing and how
it can be used with x2goclient and x2goserver?

I really would be glad to see this feature discussed first, whether
applied without a discussion about its main purpose and its security
concerns (check of executable files,...).

This is what I found in Mikes introducing mail:

[quoted mail]

The X2goDropbox provides an export spool mechanism (similar to the
cups-x2go/x2goprint duo) for any MIME type you allow (client-side-wise)
to be dropped into that X2goDropbox.

[quoted mail end]

I also would really like to discuss the name used for this feature. As
we already have trademark issues with our project name, I'm not
satisfied to see this name inside our projects namespace.

If this feature is interesting for x2gousers we should make sure it can
be used and applied as well to our main components as to the alternative
pyhoca client.

Furthermore it would be nice if you (Mike) can point out, if you want
this patch implemented as a patch - so every interested user can apply
it to his target - or if you want to have it as part of the main
distribution as it can be understand by using the "main" tag.

Regards,

Heinz