[X2go-dev] concept for X2go session lock-down to kiosk-mode (was Re: X2go is insecure)

Dick Kniep dick.kniep at lindix.nl
Fri Apr 1 10:12:31 CEST 2011

Hi LIst,

I completely agree with you John, it looks like some people understand the need for this and others simply don't see the point (and probably for good reasons).

However the problem is more complex than it seems, because to be able to use a wrapper, changes must be implemented in the clients. This is because the client cannot simply say anymore:

x2gomount ... ... ...

or any other command it needs to execute on the server, but it has to start this command thru the wrapper. So not only do we have to change the client, but also without extra measures we will be incompatible with earlier clients and most definitely older clients will not work with a newer server.

That is, IF we implement this as a standard part of the X2go package. We could implement this by adding a package (x2gokiosk?) that alters the ssh config and adds the wrapper. Requirements for this solution are:

An api is needed for communications between the server and the client that defines:

     - Kind of server that is there (x2goserver or x2gokiosk)

     - Version of the interface

     - Possibility to retrieve the allowed commands from the server

In that case we get the best of both worlds. If one wants the extra security the x2gokiosk package offers, x2gokiosk is installed and there is no problem that older clients cannot connect anymore, because the user has chosen for the extra security.

However if a newer client connects to an older server without the x2gokiosk package it should be able to see that there is no secure x2gokiosk on the other side and it should use the old way of connecting. In that case, also an older client with a newer server (no x2gokiosk) will work as expected.

Cheers,

Dick Kniep