[X2go-dev] X2go-dev Digest, Vol 21, Issue 23

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:06:53 CEST 2010

I've tried nearly all of the leading remote desktop technologies that I
could find.

Remote Video is hard to improve on any of them without taking a different
approach that frame buffer forwarding.

So NoMachine's NX, Citrix's remote desktop technology etc all are limited by
bandwidth constraints of trying to
push full motion video frame buffers across a WAN link.. no matter how good
the compression.    Which by the
way also affects video quality because of delay.

There are solutions out there that are trying to address this in a different
architectural way such as the
Spice client & server architecture which does the video processing at the
client and more or less sends gui
control cmds over the net.

There is also PCoIP (PC over IP) which works very well at full motion video
and also 3D video BUT it requires
hardware installed at the server  side and also a PCoIP card at the Client
side... so its not cheap.

I think there are 2 other things that should impact the performance current
NX related solutions:

1)  I recently read that several NX solution vendors are now using
*libjpeg-turbo
*instead of the older libjpeg.

                *http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org/*

* It's a high-speed version of libjpeg based on libjpeg/SIMD but with
additional optimizations and support for 64-bit platforms (and neatly*
* packaged into an SDK that can install on most types of x86/x86-64
systems.)  It's 2-4x faster than libjpeg and GPL-compatible, so I would*
* imagine that NX related remote desktop solutions like x2go, FreeNX and NX
from NoMachine itself woul all benefit from it performance-wise.*

*NOTE:  when I first tried libjpeg-turbo I installed it only on the client
and I didn't seem much if any change.   However I recently learned that
            actually has to be innstalled on BOTH server and client to see
the performance benefit but in a recent test I saw the results of increased
            performance 180%.    BUT - I'd still recommend running Browser
based video like YouTube off of the local Client machine instead of
            over the Internet from a remote desktop.

*
*2)  HTML 5 with its enhanced support for multimedia (video & audio)*

*
Brian
*