[X2go-dev] headless client with pyx2go

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Sep 22 03:16:20 CEST 2010

Hey Dick,

On Di 21 Sep 2010 15:18:12 CEST Dick Kniep wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> We want to develop a headless client in python using pyx2go.
>
> The application should have the following features:
>
> 1. All parameters except for the password should come from a profile
> stored in the users home directory
> 2. The user should have the possibility to enter the password, the
> username and the server, where the username and the server should be
> retrieved from the profile
> 3. The client should support clientside printing as the x2go client
> 4. The home directory (or another directory) on the clientside
> should be mounted with fuse on the serverside
> 5. The client should start XMing with all appropriate parameters
> 6. It should be possible to start an application from the server
> side by starting a file. So if a file called test.doc exists and
> that file is started, MS-Word should start.
> 7. The profile should be maintained by a separate program (nice gui
> application)
>
> We've got the demo.py running. However when it ends, the session is
> terminated correctly, but a thread remains active. Probably the
> thread should be joined with the mainprogram.
>
> Could anyone help us with documentation on the use of fuse and the
> way commands are passed from client to server vice-versa?

Just last weekend I (with Jörgs great help) I have started working on
such a headless client implementation.

The working title for the project is pyx2go-cli and once there is some
stability within it, it will be available with Jörgs python-x2go
library on GitHub. There will also be Debian/Ubuntu packages available.

If you have the possibility of funding such development work (and
thus, speed it up), I (and probably also Jörg) will be happy to
provide you with support and code.

Best,
Mike Gabriel

mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de