[X2go-dev] Plugin updates over time

Heinz-M. Graesing x2go-dev at x2go.org
Wed Sep 15 19:07:33 CEST 2010

Hello Gerry,

Am 15.09.2010 17:08, schrieb Gerry Reno:
> By that I mean will future versions of the plugin retain backward
> compatibility and work with existing installations of x2go?

We've tried to save the compatibility for all now existing versions of
x2go. As x2goplugin is basically "x2goclient", we'll go on trying to
provide a basic compatibility of future versions.

> It seems the browsers are always pushing users to upgrade their plugins
> so they have the latest functionality and security fixes.  But this can
> also mean that existing installations that work with the newer plugin
> versions could also need updating as well unless the plugin is always
> sure to be backward compatible.

Other than for extensions, mozilla does not provide webspace for
plugins. So the plugin will be hosted on our server (or where you want).
We'll provide a SSL update site.

> What is the x2go policy in regard to plugin updates and backward
> compatibility?

Since we are planning to change to QtPlugin instead of our own
implementation, some things may change. After the first steps we've
taken, the place where to store the plugins options may change from "a
single file" to "inside the presenting website".

best regards,

Heinz