[X2go-dev] Plugin Sources?!

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 16:08:41 CEST 2010

Trademarks, especially when operating on a global scale, can be a tricky
business.

And this is why you see people 'inventing' weird names so that they
don't run into collisions with little known entities in some corner of
the world.

The big companies can just buy the little guys out, but when you're just
a small startup you usually don't have that option.

Most trademark laws give priority to the person/entity who actually used
the mark first in a commercial transaction, even if it wasn't
'registered' with some agency.  Sometimes just registering a domain name
with the actual intent of growing a business (as opposed to just
squatting) around the name/mark is sufficient.  Written business plans
and documenting the dates/times of business meetings along with meeting
minutes can be important here.

GPL source:

The GPL does not care about 'releases'.  It only cares about source
distribution occurring in concert with binary distribution.  If you
distribute any binary code in any manner whatsoever, the GPL requires
that the source for that binary code also be made available in a form
that can reconstruct the binary.

Regards,
Gerry