[X2go-dev] open source Java based x-server for windows

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Oct 27 23:08:00 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 16:26 -0400, brian mullan wrote:
> They could have chosen a better name but here's the description.
> But it too sounds like it would need work because it mentions "WeirdX
> supports core protocols of X11R6.3 partially."
>
> Open Source - WeirdX
>
> written in Java
>
>       * WeirdX handles x protocols directly.
>       * WeirdX supports core protocols of X11R6.3 partially.
>       * WeirdX is implemented with JDK 1.1.
>       * WeirdX runs as an application/applet.
>       * WeirdX supports Rootless mode.
>       * WeirdX runs as a TrueType font X Server if your JVM supports
>         TrueType fonts.
>       * WeirdX supports the three mouse button emulation.
>       * WeirdX supports copy/paste operations between the native
>         window system and x clients via CUT_BUFFER0.
>       * WeirdX supports 1bpp, 8bpp and 16bpp mode.
>       * WeirdX supports multibyte characters; Japanese, Korean and
>         Chinese characters.
>       * WeirdX allows you to get secure X accesses in pure Java by
>         using JSch.
>       * JRexec is included.
>       * WeirdX supports XDMCP.
>       * WeirdX supports dxpc(Differential X Protocol Compressor) with
>         the assistance of JDxpc.
>       * WeirdX includes hacks for the alpha transparency.
>       * WeirdX supports EsounD compatible applications.
>       * WeirdX includes the XJS Extension written by Christian Werner.
>       * WeirdX is distributed under GNU GPL.
<snip>
There are a couple of java X Servers but I would be concerned about
performance.  This is not an area of expertise for me but I would
imagine we push the X Server rather hard. If cygwin struggles simply
because the network stack is shimmed, I would think the java overhead
would be crippling.  Just a hunch - John