[X2go-dev] x2go python scripts

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Oct 25 23:36:05 CEST 2010

Hi Gerry,

thanks for asking your questions.

On Mo 25 Okt 2010 17:58:56 CEST Gerry Reno wrote:

> There appear to be a number of efforts involving developing python
> scripts for x2go.
>
> What are the status of these python efforts?
> Did Jörg abandon his effort?

Yes, Jörgs approach was initially licensed as GPL, but his contractor
refused to grant publication under an open license.

> Mike, you mentioned the you were redeveloping Jörg's scripts.

Yes, I have rewritten Jörgs ideas and expanded the possibilities:

   + pulse audio support
   + local folder sharing
   + printing (work in progress)

> Is that effort finished?

No, that will probably take a great little while more. Dick Kniep from
Lindix in the Netherlands writes a GUI around the new Python X2go
library, whereas I will support his effort by co-developing the Python
X2go module.

I myself use my pyhoca-cli intensively (from the command line) and I
am very satisfied with its stability (on Ubuntu lucid).

The collaboration with Dick will hopefully bring forth:

   o a GUI based client (wxPython) that operates form the systray in Windows /
     as a docking applet in Linux (GNOME/KDE), one main objective is
     multi-session support. Dick also plans a MacOS X version, but I
am not sure
     how that will integrate in the Mac desktop (not familiar with terminology)

   o handling of x2goclient config files (printing, settings)

   o handling session profiles in ~/.x2goclient/sessions

I will also later add LDAP support... In fact, there is still a bunch
of work to do...

> And what ssh connection approach is being taken with python scripts?

Python X2go uses the Python Paramiko SSH implementation.

> Multiple ssh connections the same as the perl scripts?
> Or establish and reuse a single ssh connection?

Python X2go builds up one SSH Transport connection. Through this
connection all tunnels (nxproxy, audio, local sharing, printing) are
handled. I have implemented its own SFTP server into Python X2go. This
means: Python X2go does not need a local SSH daemon. Python X2go uses
its own SFTP implementation (works great for me).

> And what is the minimum python level necessary to run these python
> scripts?  2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6?

You need Python2.6 with Greenlet/Gevent module. I have prepared
packages for Ubuntu lucid/maverick and Debian squeeze/sid in our
DAS-NETZWERKTEAM repository.

> Just trying to gauge the requirements, features and maturity of the
> python efforts.

Please refer to our project homepage, SVN and the Epydoc-generated API
documentation:

1.
http://das-netzwerkteam.de/site/?q=node/71

2.
https://svn.das-netzwerkteam.de/websvn/listing.php?repname=x2go&path=%2Fpython%2Fpython-x2go%2F#_python_python-x2go_

3.
http://packages.das-netzwerkteam.de/doc/python-x2go/

Greets,
Mike

PS: currently I am working on a completely different project, which
will last another week at least. Once that is done, I will return to
Python X2go development.

mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de