[X2go-dev] x2go thinclient under Debian Lenny problem with sound

Markus Homburg zielscheibe at gmx.li
Thu Nov 25 16:37:52 CET 2010

On 25.11.2010 11:39, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>> <snip>>>
> In my client KDE, the sound server is completely disabled. It uses pulse
> only.  On the server, artSd is configured for networking and uses ESD.
Ok, so if you don't have to configure the windowmanager
will it work in gnome as well? You don't have installed pulse on
the server?

> On the server side, we needed to upgrade paplay from Squeeze as the
> Lenny version did not support playing the ogg files sometimes used for
> KDE sounds.  In the knotifyrc configuration file (~/.kde/share/config/
> unless you are using KIOSK mode), we set External player=paplay.  Of
> course, this is just for KDE.  Anything which natively uses pulse should
> work although you may need to configure the application to use pulse.
> We had some issues with Firefox (Iceweasel) but I believe these were
> cleaned up with upgrades although we might have needed to install from
> either backports or squeeze; if it is a problem, let the list know and
> I'll see if I can dig out what we did.
Maybe squeeze gets stable in the next couple of weeks and so it is not
important anymore.

> Most importantly, is pulse actually running on both sides, e.g., ps -e |
> grep pulse? Good luck - John
On the server I had to create /etc/asound.conf after the installation of
the packages and to add the users in the pulse groups. Furthermore I had
to start it with "pulseaudio -D". But I have to find out if there is a
way to start it automatically at startup.
But the bigger problem is how to start pulse in the client?