[X2go-dev] x2go thinclient under Debian Lenny problem with sound

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Nov 25 11:39:49 CET 2010

> <snip>>> I just want to have sound :-) So which way is the easiest to get sound
> >> working under Lenny ?
> > Pulseaudio
> I installed pulseaudio with "apt-get install pulseaudio" in the chroot.
> But the sound will still be played on the server not on the client.
> Is there a howto for that?
In my client KDE, the sound server is completely disabled. It uses pulse
only.  On the server, artSd is configured for networking and uses ESD.

On the server side, we needed to upgrade paplay from Squeeze as the
Lenny version did not support playing the ogg files sometimes used for
KDE sounds.  In the knotifyrc configuration file (~/.kde/share/config/
unless you are using KIOSK mode), we set External player=paplay.  Of
course, this is just for KDE.  Anything which natively uses pulse should
work although you may need to configure the application to use pulse.
We had some issues with Firefox (Iceweasel) but I believe these were
cleaned up with upgrades although we might have needed to install from
either backports or squeeze; if it is a problem, let the list know and
I'll see if I can dig out what we did.

Most importantly, is pulse actually running on both sides, e.g., ps -e |
grep pulse? Good luck - John