[X2go-dev] Compiling x2go Windows client

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sun Nov 21 18:59:09 CET 2010

Hi Phil, dear list,

On Di 09 Nov 2010 16:45:39 CET "--[ UxBoD ]--" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to compile the win client and have installed the QT
> SDK, MinGw and the x2goclient sources.  They have been added to the
> environment path to allow the compilation binaries to be found.  The
> readme says that one should rename x2goclient.pro with
> x2goclient.pro.windows yet the latter file does not exist?
>
> I decided to press on and ran qmake followed by make which completed
> without any errors.  I found the x2goclient.exe within the debug
> directory and once I ran it the normal client screen popped up but
> was immediately followed by the error  "Runtime Error!" from the
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.
>
> Would very much appreciate some help in resolving the problem please.
> --
> Thanks, Phil

This might add some knowledge to the VcXsrv testing for X2go.

I have just got PyHoca-CLI running on Windows. PyHoca-CLI is a
command-line X2go client. The only X-Server stuff that is used with it
is nxproxy.exe (from the most recent X2goClient).

We have to differentiate the different XServer modes:

   o multiple windows
   o fullscreen
   o one large window
   o one large window without title bar

Whereas sessions start well under Xming 6.9.x with all these modes,
nxproxy lets VcXsrv crash in multiple window mode. With the other
quasi-fullscreen modes the session starts up pretty fine (I have not
had any time to test stability and long term duration...). With all
the tests I had native GL support turned off in VcXsrv. I tested in
KVM VNC-DisplayConsole and in Rdesktop Windows (as I do not have real
Windows hardware around).

That is, to my guess, the problem is not an X2go client problem. I'd
rather suppose, that the core problem is with nxproxy in conjunction
with VcXsrv.

Maybe someone competent can contact the VcXsrv developer(s) and ask
for their opionion?

Greetings,
Mike

@Dick: please not that this is an update to my former mail I sent to