[X2go-dev] Mark Shuttleworth announces Ubuntu to move to OpenGL based Wayland

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sat Nov 6 05:00:16 CET 2010

On 11/05/2010 09:21 PM, brian mullan wrote:
> Ubuntu to start moving off X-Window
> <http://blogs.computerworld.com/17303/ubuntu_abandons_x_server_for_wayland>
> and to OpenGL based Wayland <http://wayland.freedesktop.org/>.
>
> At least this will remove any xming problem on the clients eventually <g>
>
> I'm sure as usual, people will have the choice to use X or Wayland.
>
> Brian

When you consider the absolute massive tonnage of X-based applications
and surrounding code that is out there you can count on the fact that
such a full migration in display technology will take at least 15 years
to accomplish.

I have not seen any documentation that says that Wayland is a
network-aware display technology such as X.  And in todays world that is
an absolute necessity.  Unless of course you are a gamer.

I would hope that Wayland ends up being a superset of X and retains the
complete network-aware capabilities of X.

Regards,
Gerry