[X2go-dev] Larger-scale X2GO installations - experience?

sm8ps-x2go1 at yahoo.com sm8ps-x2go1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 12:24:15 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I have been looking for a suitable set-up for our high school (Swiss Gymnasium, grades 10 through 13, 400 students, 60 teachers) that would allow our students to use their own netbook/laptop in class as well as at home. Conditions are:
1. no technical support for users' computers (therefore no installing  individual applications, no passing out images etc.)
2. must work on computers in any state, even with broken OS, browser whatever (so must allow terminal server solution as fall-back)
3. plattform independent (win/mac/linux and independent of individual computer models)
4. must work over WLAN
5. should be available on- as well as off-site

A couple of years ago I started looking more closely into LTSP and I have set up a test lab that works just fine. Though, the local nature of that makes it less suitable to our needs. Clearly, I have studied NX and now I have followed the development of X2GO more or less closely. I feel that X2GO is the perfect candidate and I want to set up a larger-scale test network. Before doing so, however, I would like to hear other people's experience with such set-ups.

I have compiled a preliminary list of questions (s.b.). If you have any experience with larger scale X2GO set-ups, I would really appreciate your input and I think others might be interested as well. Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise! If you would like to communicate in German or French, I can cope with both.

Cheers!
St. Müller, Switzerland

QUESTIONS (yes/no, experience?)
1) Local OS:
a) Copy/Paste from/to local OS
b) Accessing local file systems
c) Support of local USB devices
d) Sound
e) Printing on local printer
f) Printing on local network printer / on remote network printer
2) Set-Up, Administration:
a) number of server / user (50, 100, 150
concurrent sessions)
b) Load Balancing, Cluster
c) Manageability of several parallel servers in administration

d) Band with

e)  Multimedia (Flash)
f) Compatibility with Terminal Server
(LTSP) on same server or is X2GO usable also as directly as terminal server?
g) Mounting homes from data server
h) Compatibility with administration servers (LDAP, ADS etc.)
i) Acess protection, security

FRAGEN (ja/nein, Erfahrungen?)
1) Lokales OS:
a) Copy/Paste von/zu lokalem OS
b) Zugriff auf lokale File-Systeme
c) Unterstützung lokaler USB-Devices
d) Soundunterstützung
e) Drucken auf lokalem Drucker?
f) Drucken auf lokalem NW-Drucker? auf
remote NW-Drucker?
2) Set-Up, Administration:
a) Anzahl Server / User (50, 100, 150 gleichzeitige Users)
b) Load Balancing, Cluster
c) Handhabbarkeit von mehreren parallelenServern in der Administration
d) Bandbreite
e) Multimedia (Flash)
f) Kompatibilität mit Terminal Server (LTSP) auf gleichem Server oder X2GO direkt als Terminal-Server nutzbar?
g) Anbindung von Home-Verzeichnissen von Datenserver
h) Verträglichkeit mit Administrationsserver (LDAP, ADS etc.)
i) Zugriffsschutz, Sicherheit

Stefan Müller Wildi
Unterhof 5
CH-6208 Oberkirch