[X2go-dev] about the mailing list...

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Tue Jun 29 20:47:14 CEST 2010

Heinz-M. Graesing schreef:
> Hello all new to the list,
>
> I just wan't to comment on a number of complaints about the "needed
> membership" to write to the mailing list "x2go-dev". At the moment you
> can only write to the list, after you've registered your email address.

That's really normal for open source projects!

> This is done, because if everybody can write to the list we would
> receive a lot of spam. I have to delete really a lot of "non
> accepted/hold" messages per day which are normally spam only.
> I can understand, that not everybody wants to register to such a service
> - but the very popular alternative "forum" needs registration too.
> I need to write about this issue, because there are complaints about the
> level which must be taken to send informations to our project/community.

I am interested what kind of people complain, I don't think this are
people who are in open source projects.

> I'll describe how to handle the list in our new wiki,

I don't think this is important. We need experienced people, not the
aboslute beginners.

> and I'll definitly
> promote the service of gmane (making a list look like a forum).

I would put it on the website like so:
Forum:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.terminal-server.x2go.devel
Usenet:
gmane.linux.terminal-server.x2go.devel on news.gmane.org

You can contact the developpers, but only for security related bugs or
consultancy:
bugs at x2go.org
consultancy at x2go.org

I would remove the webform, and be a bit "harder" to people who contact
you directly. Don't answer when it's not about security related bugs or
consultancy. You don't have the time!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--