[X2go-dev] Extra functions requested in x2go

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Jun 23 12:58:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 17:10 +0200, Dick Kniep wrote:

> Hi List,
>

> Well, actually it is not that difficult to export from the server to
> the client. In fact, as the user directory is mounted and the user is
> logged on to the server and is executing our system, it is quite easy.
> From our system we write the file to the mounted directory and voila
> it is on the client. No problems with authorization either, because
> the user himself is writing to the mounted directory.
>

> The next part is trickier. If we want to start the application on the
> client we should have a command in x2go so that it signals the
> x2goclient to start the specific file. So no polling, but simply an
> extra command that is called on the server and sends a message to the
> client. Now this means a change in the client, and a protocol for the
> message that is used. Furthermore a command on the server should be
> there to signal the start of the program on the client. This could be
> something like "x2gorunclient path-to-the-file"
<snip>
Hmm . . . if you do have ssh in both directions, perhaps you could have
the script reside on the client and have the server call it.  So the
client script would be:

#!/bin/bash
x2goscript ${1}

and the server would be
#!/bin/bash
cp spreadsheet.xls ~/media/someshare/
ssh clientaddress "x2goscript someshare/spreadsheet.xls"

If it can't be driven by the server, then I suppose one could create a
daemon to poll the share directory for the appearance of new files.
Just a couple of thoughts - John