[X2go-dev] load balancing/LDAP

Heinz-M. Graesing x2go-dev at x2go.org
Sun Jul 25 10:20:00 CEST 2010

Hello Neil,

Am 24.07.2010 21:15, schrieb Neil W. Hunt:

> Hello,
>
> it appears from the documentation that the only method of using load
> balancing is to use the x2goldaptools. Is this accurate? We use Likewise

x2goclient was first meant as a replacement of a display manager inside
our own boot environment. This is a setup for local networks as a whole
OS needs to be transferred over the net. In this setup, it was a "good
idea" to contact the LDAP server directly.

> I am assuming that you haven't tested the x2goldaptools against active
> directory, but is there any way you could elaborate a bit more on
> exactly what the x2goldaptools do? Does it use your existing ldap server
> users and groups to authenticate? If so, does it need to have a group
> "x2gousers" with corresponding users in order for the users to be
> authenticated?

Yes, if you use LDAP, you can use the groups and people of that tree.
You can choose a group of your own - just make sure that you've
configured it correct in /etc/sudoers

> Does x2go, once the x2goldaptools are installed, immediately stop
> looking at any one server's users?

No - if you have local configured users (/etc/passwd) they can still
access the server - but taht would be a bad idea...

> If Active Dir supports ldap querying through ldap:// URLs, do you expect
> this would work like any other LDAP server?

Other LDAP servers are reportet to work - you don't need any special
schematas on the directory server. But I don't know if ADs are working
with x2go.

> Are there any other ways to support load balancing without the
> x2goldaptools?

A lot of - maybe some list users can bring up some examples?

Regards,

Heinz