[X2go-dev] SABAYON-Userprofiles and X2GO

Stefan W. Lambert swlambert-hg at online.de
Fri Jul 23 19:38:18 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 22.07.2010, 10:02 -0400 schrieb John A. Sullivan III:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 12:18 +0200, swlambert-hg at online.de wrote:
> > Hello at all,
> >
> > I 'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post my question. But I can't find a forum or wiki for x2go-User and Admin questions. So, I use this mailing-list.
> >
> > Since a few weeks I'm testing x2go. Everything works fine, but now, I have a problem.
> >
> > To create Gnome-Userprofiles, I use the Profileditor "Sabayon" ( http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon ). The generation of the profiles and the assignment to the users work without any issue. But together with x2go, there is a (for me a big) problem.
> >
> > When a new user run a X2GO Session, he receive the Standard-Gnome Desktop instead of the „Sabayon“-Desktop. But when he first logged in localy on the Server, the assignment of the „Sabayon“-Desktop works on X2GO Sessions too.
> >
> > In my opinion , Sabayon is a good and easy tool for Administrators to handle the useraccess on the applications at the TS-Server. But it isn't feasible in a production environment with a lot of users, that every user first logged in localy on the server.
> >
> > NOMACHINE has published an article ( http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR10F00516 http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR10F00516 ) with the solution for this issue with NOMACHINE NX-Server. After I have adjusted the Sabayon Configuration on Ubuntu 10.04 (there are a few differences between Sabayon on Fedora and Sabayon on Ubuntu), i have make a test with the „Nomachine NX-Free Edition“ (not FreeNX) and it works indeed. Now I'm searching for the solution with X2GO.
> >

> > So, my two question are
> > 1.
> > Is there a possibilty in the X2GO-Configuration to configure a „UserScriptAfterSessionStart“ like in the Nomachine NX-Node configuration ? If yes, how ?
> >
> > 2.
> > Is it possible to publish only Applications (not the whole Desktop) for users/usergroups ? If yes, how work it ?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Stefan
> <snip>
> Hello, Stefan.  I'm not familiar with Sabayon (perhaps I should be!).
> We've been setting XDG_DATA_DIRS and using a centrally managed settings
> approach.
>
> However, it is possible to launch specific applications and this can
> include, I believe, a wrapper application to something like startkde or
> gnome-session.  A while ago, I had published on this list our work of
> summarizing the X2Go process of setting up and tearing down a session.
> You might find that helpful.
>
> It seems to all be driven from the client via SSH.  Eventually, the
> client runs (via ssh on the server) /usr/bin/x2goruncommand.  This
> command can be just about anything and is configured in the client
> interface under the session type on the Session (first) tab.  Hope this
> [...]

Hello John,

thanks a lot for your quickly and helpful reply.

The solution for the problem is realy simple. As you write, I change the
settings in the first tab of the GTK-Client.

Here is the solution for the described issue.
- replace "Gnome" with "Other Desktop-Environment"
- write into the commandline "/etc/X11/Xsession"

and it works fantastic :)))

Thanks for your help !!!!

Best regards
Stefan