[X2go-dev] x2go windows client

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu Jul 22 14:09:00 CEST 2010

On 07/22/2010 07:55 AM, Malic Zilyas wrote:
>  Dear members,
>
> Currently I'm switchin from FreeNx to x2go.
> i must say everything looks very good!
> Especially when using linux platforms only.
>
> When using the windows client I've had the following problem. When
> trying to open a session:
> A first dialog with an empty msg, title: "Host key verification failed
> ..." and option "Yes" and "No". Pressing Yes opend up the same dialog
> again. Pressing No give me the error: "ssh_askpass: No such file or
> directory Host key verification failed."
> The client is installed on a system that has the latest cygwin
> installed. I was already using ssh and sshd from the cygwin package.
> This gave conflicting cygwin1.dll versions. Copy the latest dll the
> x2go folder did not resolve the problem completely. A new error
> occured, something like could not create directory /home/mz/ssh. I
> don't remember the exact error msg. I did a full scan of all
> cygwin1.dll. I found that I was running a little tool on the
> background (xplanet) that was also using a cygwin1.dll but a much
> older one. After closing down that tool, restoring the x2go original
> cygwin1.dll to its folder and trying again... All is well ...
> I started up my cron and sshd services again with the new cygwin1.dll
> and starting the x2go client with its original dll. Everything worked
> again!
>
> I just want to share this information, maybe put it in the faq or
> something. When using the windows client, be carefull to look for
> other (older) cygwin1.dlls
>
> For the rest I'm very happy using x2go.
> Thank you all
>  Malic Zilyas

This problem of older cygwin1.dll is a general problem of using Cygwin
and not just with x2go and something for which you have to be alert.
After a while you may setup a number of applications that require Cygwin
and then later you may update your Cygwin installation to a later
version.  And sometimes this leaves older applications using
older/conflicting versions of cygwin1.dll.

Gerry