[X2go-dev] source code repository

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Jul 19 00:20:20 CEST 2010

Hi Heinz, hi list-people,

On So 18 Jul 2010 19:18:43 CEST "Heinz-M. Graesing" wrote:

> -1-----
>
> [...]
>
> Is it ok to use git as "version control and code publishing tool"

+1 from me

> -2-----
>
> [...]

I have no special preference here. I do not like registering for
accounts on these portals and love to work with simple systems on my
own servers (i.e. without GA & co.).

I think cascading VCS is quite helpful. Locally I'd also prefer
working with git, the remote/public system should be supported as push
method by GIT.

I like that Heinz mentions political aspects. I think we should take
this in to account. Regarding this it might be sensible to set up our
own VCS/tracker system. Actually, I think this is my favourite.
Offering my working power here...

Do we need configurable ACL features on the VCS site? What do the
named above platforms support in this respect?

> -3-----
>
> [...]
>
> So again: What do you think?

I think a single mailing list will not suffice in the future. Here is
a suggestion for a more versatile approach:

Generally:

   o mails / mailing lists as information service offer a passive retrieval of
     information
   o use WebGUIs offer active search for information (i.e. active retrieval of
     information)

Mailing lists (software e.g. Mailman):
--------------------------------------
   o x2go-core at x2go.org (rw) - the core team
   o x2go-dev at x2go.org (rw)- real developers
   o x2go-users at x2go.org (rw) - people who are rather using x2go than
working on
     code
   o x2go-announce at x2go.org (read-only) - announce releases, security
issues etc.
   o x2go-bugs at x2go.org (read-only) - carbon copies of the upstream bug tracker
   o x2go-vcs at x2go.org (read-only) - carbon copies of VCS check-ins

An x2go-core list will be valuable if the core-team will grow some
time in the future. Currently, Heinz and Alex seem to use direct
verbal communication.

The x2go-dev list will deal with development/coding issues and also
with internal discussions like this one.

The x2go-users list will deal with functionality of x2go (not
necessarily with bugs). People who want to use x2go, but are not
involved in the development, can ask their questions here. People like
John, Gerry, Paul, Joerg, Mike ... can share knowledge here and help
people with their questions. I think that normal users shall not be
bothered with discussions like this one, neither with detailled
discussion on difficult coding issues.

x2go-announce could be the ,,press release'' list. Information here
could be a duplicate of the blog on blog.x2go.org. I recommend a
duplicate service here because mail service is a passive service, a
webblog an active service for information retrieval. People have
different preferences how to get their information.

x2go-bugs is a duplicate of the bugtracker's tickets. Developers (and
reporting users) can get informed on entries on the bugtrackers via
mail (again: mails for passive retrieval, the bugtracker for active
search).

x2go-vcs will inform developers about VCS check-ins.

For developers mail filtering to subfolders will be a must with this
set of mailing lists...

Forum:
------
A forum for communication gets a -1 vote from me... I agree with Heinz
that giving our list archives a nice frontend on the web is by far the
better approach.

Tracker:
--------
With bug trackers I am not so experienced. Nice bug tracking features
that I like are:

   o allow users to mail-watch a bug (without registration)
   o reference with URLs between bugtracker und VCS web-frontend

Both features are available with the Horde bugtracker (see below).

The bugtracker will be for handling upstream bugs only!!! It's not a
forum for discussing things etc. If a discussion will start in the
bugtracker the developers have to intervene and refer to the mailing
lists as a discussion medium.

The bugtracker should not need registration for reporting users.
Reporters of bugs should have to leave a mail address, though.

Code/Package development:
-------------------------
Then we should differentiate between code development and package
maintenance (just some thoughts/suggestions):

CODE:
   o code development -> master branch of x2go VCS, handled by x2go bugtracker
   o code modularization (x2goclient related packages, x2goserver related
     packages, x2gothinclient related packages etc.)
   o branching code -> branches in x2go VCS are supported, but maybe
not handled
     by bugtracker (keeping the bugtracker simple)

PACKAGES:
   o debian package maintenance -> Heinz, Alex; free choice of methods(?)
   o ubuntu package maintenance -> Launchpad; Maintainer A
   o SuSE package maintenance -> ..., Maintainer B
   o Fedora package maintenance -> ..., Maintainer C
   o GenToo -> ..., Maintainer D
   o etc.

The upstream code will include the distro specific package folders
(e.g. the /debian folder), but these folders have to be maintained and
updated by the distro package maintainers. (Patches via e-Mail to the
code module maintainer).

Bugs in the packages will be reported to the bugtracker of the
distribution (Bugzilla for Redhat/Fedora, Launchpad for Ubuntu etc.).
The corresponding package maintainers will differentiate package bugs
from upstream bugs and will report these upstream bugs in the x2go
bugtracker and optimally also provide patches for upstream bugs there.

TRACKER:
--------
> Maybe gitbug is a possiblity too (bugs
> stored inside the git)?

I just looked at a gitbug site. To me, gitbug does not look too
promising... but may be the sites I looked at are not representative.

There was a time when I submitted quite some patches to bugs.horde.org
(Kolab Groupware). The horde tracker Whups is a really nice
ticket-tracking system.
http://www.horde.org/whups/

It works together with GIT (Horde used CVS for a very long time, but
the project has recently migrated to GIT). And AFAIK Horde also has a
VCS frontend for GIT available.

This also is just a set of ideas!!! I am open to anything that will
work smoothly for us all!!!

@Heinz: maybe someone should be responsible for collecting ideas in
the x2go-wiki. Will you do that? Or will you name someone? I agree
with Paul that someone has to extract the brainstorming from the list.

Best,

eMail-LeseSchreibStunde: wochentags 8h-10h
mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de