[X2go-dev] source code repository

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sun Jul 18 22:19:22 CEST 2010

On 07/18/2010 03:54 PM, Eli K. wrote:

> This are no questions! You need to use Launchpad/Bazar, because Ubuntu will become the only Linux on the market!!!

History does not bear out such a conclusion that Ubuntu will be the only
Linux.  The same was said about Minix, Slackware, Debian, RedHat, and
many other distributions.  One thing you find with free(d) software is
that there is continuous evolution and improvements.  And the most
unlikely thing to happen is that one distribution would ever be the
*only* distribution.  When you go to the ice cream shop do you only see
one flavour?

> You need to use python, because only python will survive for desktop use (java/(script) for the net)!!!

Having programmed in over two dozen languages, again history does not
bear out such singular results.  Without a doubt python is a very good
language.  Will it displace Javascript?  Will it conquer the world so to
speak?  Very very doubtful.

> And you have to be nx compatible, because nobody looks for unknown software!!!

The only reason x2go is rather unknown is because a sufficient community
has not sprung up yet around the software.  But that is changing now.
And when you look at the rather poor and frustrating uptake on NX
projects as a whole there is no compelling reason to be completely
compatible with approaches that are clumsy, stale and lack useability.

> I'll put that stuff to my Lauchpad account when I've got time.
>
> By the way - good idea with the python lib!

Yes, there should be room for any of these types of contributions.

Regards,
Gerry