[X2go-dev] source code repository

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sun Jul 18 01:53:50 CEST 2010

On 07/17/2010 07:17 PM, Jörg Sawatzki wrote:
> Heinz wrote:
>> We wan't to use our own server to be able to autobuild packages etc...
>> but I will push a copy to github too.
>>
> There is absolutely no need for this - for example, if you have a
> project page on Launchpad, their servers can autobuild .deb packages for
> you - for all kinds of architectures and ubuntu/debian versions.
> If you still want to build packages on your own server, just build them
> from the github/*forge repository.
>
> Of course it is up to you - but keep in mind that it will cost you a lot
> more time (and money) to build and run an infrastructure that is as good
> or better than what all these *forge sites offer you for free.
>
> Jörg

Jörg,
   I agree with this completely.  Why reinvent wheels?  One of the
forges already has everything needed by a project and is managed,
updated and maintained for free.  No worrying about your own server
crashing.  No fiddling with various bugtracker, wiki, blog, vcs, etc.
setups.  And you just mirror back to your own server if you feel the
need to do that.  And as you point out, Launchpad is very featured and
can automatically generate .deb files.  If you use their repository, you
can always use the git-bzr plugin that allows you to work in git and
still use the Launchpad bazaar seemlessly.  You never know the difference.

Gerry