[X2go-dev] use thin client CPU resources

Heinz-M. Graesing x2go-dev at x2go.org
Fri Jul 2 20:33:19 CEST 2010

Hello Mike,

Am 02.07.2010 15:20, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
> Hi x2go-folks,
>
> here is another question to the developers...
>
> When talking to school teachers here in Kiel, there was a very central
> demand to thin client work stations: run application on the thin client
> hardware.

>   o start firefox locally (but with the user's profile), esp. because of
> flash
>     media, but also animations on websites
> As I know, in LTSP there is a solution for that

LTSP is using (so far as I know) the local X-server on the Thin Client
as native display. X2go is using x2goagent als natvive display so the
window manager is running on another display (number).
So there is the question how the local apps window should be managed,
for example how it should be placed behind other applications, get the
focus. There are further questions like: "what is happening on session
suspend, concurring audio input, a different client cpu architecture,...
This is not a "not possible" answer, we sure will add this feature to
the whislist. But it is not a easy task and maybe some other ideas will
help to archive the same result.

> My question: is there also an idea or an approach for x2go how local CPU
> usage of thin clients could be implemented? I suppose, there is no
> implementation yet, is it?

The local machine is used for input device handling, as print server and
the local X-Server is responsible for the display response user experience.

> As this is probably the most needed feature herearound I'd love to go
> into detail with this issue sometime in August/September.
>
> Plz let me know what you think,
> Mike

I think it is a very difficult task and if you don't want to offer it to
all target devices available it might be possible for LAN usage. But it
is sure a lot of work.

best regards,

Heinz