[X2go-dev] use thin client CPU resources

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Jul 2 15:20:06 CEST 2010

Hi x2go-folks,

here is another question to the developers...

When talking to school teachers here in Kiel, there was a very central
demand to thin client work stations: run application on the thin
client hardware.

in schools this is needed for:

   o accessing USB-devices like LEGO mind storm robots etc.
   o starting development environments on the thin client CPU (e.g. eclipse) so
     that programming of ROBOT devices can be tested locally
   o play media (DVD, AVI on CD or USB-Stick) on the thin client
   o start firefox locally (but with the user's profile), esp. because of flash
     media, but also animations on websites

As I know, in LTSP there is a solution for that (a weird bash script
called ltsp-localapp or so).

My question: is there also an idea or an approach for x2go how local
CPU usage of thin clients could be implemented? I suppose, there is no
implementation yet, is it?

My basic idea of how it could be done:

   o mount $HOME of the x2goserver on the client via sshfs, this mount
should be
     tunneled through the main SSH connection (I know this is the other way
     round compared to x2goprint spool dir and shared folders... this
might need
     some work and ideas before we go into deatails)
   o issue a script call on the thin client
   o set some environment variables on the thin client from within this script
     ($HOME, $USER etc.)
   o let the x2goclient start the local app (like firefox, vlc,
mplayer, eclipse)

As this is probably the most needed feature herearound I'd love to go
into detail with this issue sometime in August/September.

Plz let me know what you think,

eMail-LeseSchreibStunde: wochentags 8h-10h
mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de