[X2go-dev] x2go en homedirs on samba share

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Jan 27 20:38:40 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 09:29 +0100, jasper van der marel wrote:
> Hello Heinz,
>
> I think I have found a part of the problem. I have read
> (http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-directory-users/2009-06/msg00026.html)
> x2go logs in 3 times when  setting of the connection between server
> and client. In the current setup we are mounting the samba/cifs home
> share during login. When looking at the mountpoints after making the
> connection (which fails) I can see the samba/cifs home dir mounted
> three times. Is there a way to force x2go to login just one time ? Or
> can you explain the loginprocess to me so I can solve the problem ?
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Jasper van der Marel
<snip>
We encountered the three login problem when we had set our accounts to
lockout after three failed attempts and found our X2Go users locked at
only one failed login attempt.  We recorded Alex's explanation in our
internal documentation,  Here it is:

This is more than three because of X2Go.  It appears to make three
logins during the session setup process.  Thus, a single mistyped
password locks an account limited to only three failed attempts.  Here
is the email explanation from Alex:
Let me explain how x2goclient works. It using ssh authentication to
login on remote server. The password typed from user before session
start will be used for whole session. During one session x2goclient make
several ssh connections to x2goserver:

1. Connect to server and ask for list of running or suspended session
2. Create ssh tunnel for graphical (and audio) data
3. Resume suspended session or start a new one.
4. In case of a new session, run session command on server (for example
startkde)