[X2go-dev] Speed of X2go slower than of NXclient

Heinz-M. Graesing heinz-m at web.de
Sun Jan 17 15:49:03 CET 2010

Hello,

> Hi Paul,
>    The problem is that I find x2go whether it is local or internel takes a bit
> more time for it to authenticate than nxclient which is more instantaneous.

I have a gotten a lot of feedback, that normally a session can be faster started and resumed - but x2go has an completly different handshake. A used compinent can be responsible for the delay. What you really should check, is that the name resolution is working. You should be able to connect to the server over SSH without delay.

>    There is also a windows 2003 running there where rdp is running extremely
> smooth with about 3 people accessing it at any one time. The bandwitdh on it is
> always whether login in or using is below 200k. X2go or nxclient always spikes
> up above 500-800K when just login in. When using it jumps up and down between
> 200k - 2Mbps. I get this also not only in windows also when the client is Ubuntu.

RDP an NX are working completly diffferent. NX needs to fill up the bitmap cache whenever you are using a screenobject for the first time. This will increase the CPU usage on the server, because the bitmaps are cached and it will increase the bandwith consumption, because those pictures need to be delivered to the client. But the whole user feedback of input devices and the x-server ressources are working local. So it is very typical for NX to have a changing bandwith usage.

Please keep in mind, that x2go is not developed to be an NX replacement. There are various Open Source clients and even servers which are completly compatible to NX. The idea of x2go was to develop a complete open Terminal Server by using as much as possible already existing native linux projects.

For a typical connection time to a x2go server using WLAN you can watch our youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxEsngE6qjc

If you can give us more information, we'll really try to help you. It would be interesting to have an look on the ssh connection (how long does it take to establish the connection) and what services you are using (printing, file sharing, sound - > which sound system).

best regards,

Heinz