[X2go-dev] OT: X2Go desktop distribution choices

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Wed Jan 6 09:06:56 CET 2010

John A. Sullivan III schreef:

> Thanks, Paul.  Do you or others have experience mixing stable +
> backports with testing using pinning? I've heard some say that is the
> best of all worlds and others say it is a terrible idea because testing
> pulls in new libraries which can badly break packages in stable. Thanks

Sometimes it works, sometimes you have the problem of the new libraries.
You can easy try it.

If it needs many new libraries and there is no backport available you
can make your own backport. With a backport you don't need these new
libraries in most cases. Download the Debian source package from testing
or unstable, and build it on your system with "dpkg-buildpackage -uc
-us". In many cases this works really fine.

But most of the time, I do not need to have the latest version, and I am
glad to have such a stable platform with good security support.

Some organisations like X2go have their own Debian repository, then you
can have the latest version direct.

For desktops, an important point is the support status for Mozilla
products in Debian:
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#mozilla-security
This was the reality after the Lenny release at 14 Februari 2009:
http://www.debian.org/security/2009/dsa-1753
http://www.debian.org/security/2009/dsa-1830
I think about switching to Epiphany and Evolution for this reason. But
maybe it's better to be prepared and make a fast switch to a new stable
version when it releases.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--