[X2go-dev] OT: X2Go desktop distribution choices

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Tue Jan 5 09:30:32 CET 2010

John A. Sullivan III schreef:
> Hello, all.  We have been struggling over whether we wanted to offer
> Ubuntu or Fedora desktops to our users via X2Go.  However, as we
> struggle in that debate, we are unexpectedly beginning to entertain the
> idea of using Debian instead.

I think that's a good idea. There is much more experience with Debian
then with Fedora. And about Ubuntu I would say to try this:

aptitude search '?and(~s universe,~i)'

... and you will see you are using many packages without security
support. I think that's maybe sometimes OK, but not for a thinclient server.

> May I ask what your experiences have been?

I have some years experiences with Debian thinclients in small
organisations, and I can tell you it works fine. I have used FreeNX
(with ThinStation) and now a little bit X2go.

Biggest problem was always flash, the quality of flash in a bigger
format is not good enough in my opinion and it can slow-down a user session.

Another point is to connect devices to clients. That's not always easy.

> What are your preferred desktop clients and why? If Debian, is it
> stable + backports or testing?

I have experiences with Debian stable and oldstable. I have heard X2go
works fine with testing. I use sometimes backports, e.g. for OpenOffice.

Always running testing is not a good idea in my opinion, it changes to
much. But you can do it for a short time.

> We are looking at supporting potentially many thousands of these
> desktops. Thanks - John

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--