[X2go-dev] Setting up a Wiki (was: upcoming release)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 21 18:00:35 CET 2010

Dear Heinz,

thank you for taking the time to inform the community and to answer
Russ’s post.

Am Sonntag, den 21.02.2010, 12:29 +0100 schrieb Heinz-M. Graesing:
> R P Herrold schrieb:

[…]

> We'll try to change that in furture, but we're still getting a lot of
> complaints only to offer a "mailing list". Even on this important
> previous mail 8 people have answered using the webform. As there will be
> a git reposity and a wiki in future, we should add an wishlist. But what
> we really don't like is, when the communication/information about our
> project gets fragmented.
> Thank you for your open words!

[…]

> > .. and what is wrong with documentation tools like the older TeX /
> > LaTeX, or the later DocBook, which are designed for version control
> > system friendly collaborative editting?  I think a wiki is the wrong
> > way to go for ystem documenation deliverables [having fought this
> > battle and lost in my work with CentOS]
> >
> Again this was a wish by actual 56 persons - their idea was, that this
> would be better accessed by the search engines and that the hpertext
> would solve the problem of getting to long documentations. Again : Yes
> it would help, if I could go back in time and to change all this dialogs
> to the mailing list, so they would have been discussed more open...

Because you wrote you will use Git in the future I suggest to take a
look at ikiwiki [1].

The great advantage for you is, that if you implement a new feature or
change something which needs to be documented, you can do it in the same
repository without opening a browser, logging in and updating the
respective Wiki page using the Web form.

Because it is so easy for developers to update the documentation, the
hope is that the documentation stays up to date.

Of course people can still use the Web interface to change ikiwiki.

I hope I did not start a flame war now about what wiki to use.

But I recommend before you choose a solution to think about your needs
and what you will be able to cope with having for example time
constraints and then choose something fitting your needs.

Thanks again to you and your team for your great work,

Paul

[1] http://ikiwiki.info/