[X2go-dev] upcoming release

Heinz-M. Graesing x2go-dev at x2go.org
Sat Feb 20 22:32:40 CET 2010

Dear x2go users,

for the last months we've been working on a new release. First we
thought to bring some new features, but now we'll bundle it, because
there where many changes needed.
It still will take some time to the release, but we wan't to inform you
on some changes we are discussing.
First of all: We are planing a multi session x2goclient for the release
after the next release. So there will be a lot of work of redesigning
our clients. This would be easier with only one client architecture and
as the Qt client is our base for the Linux, Windows, Maemo and Mac OSX
platforms, we are asking the question:

Would it be ok to focus our work on the Qt client and to stop/reduce our
work on the GTK client?

If we would go on developing both clients equally, it will really take a
long time to implement all new planned features and this will slow down
the whole project. The Question can also be transformed: Is there
anybody interested to help us to keep the GTK client up to date?

Please tell us your thoughts but keep in mind, that the Qt Toolkit is
available on all major distros and we'll keep on developing our Gnome
bindings. This will not be a preconfigured "choice of Desktop Environment".

So we think we should now continue with some of the new features of the
next release (as a contrast):

Yes, there will be a Browser Plugin. It will be realized  as a
"sponsored development" so we'll get some money for our work and the
sponsor will be named.
You'll be able to integrate the plugin into a Website and you'll have
all features of the x2goclient.

Yes there will be a "session sharing" option without the need of a LDAP
server. The new "session sharing" option will make it possible to share
a x2go session with another user, to share a already started xorg
session with another user and to share a session with more than one
user. There will be a system tray application which will help
configuring the sharing settings.

After getting so many mails about a wiki for documentation - yes we are
working on a wiki which will replace the odf/pdf/html manuals.

We are looking for new localisations. If x2goclient is not available in
your language and you want to translate it, please let us know (on the
list ). We'll provide a *.ts file for your language (qt-linguist).

We'll announce the the release here on the list and on our blog - at the
moment we can't tell you when it'll be ready. So please stay tuned and
tell us what you think about the news...

best regards,

Heinz and Alex