[X2go-dev] Reconnect to suspended session

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Feb 6 18:45:15 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 20:57 +0100, Heinz-M. Graesing wrote:

>  >>On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 08:53 +0100, olivier.arnaud at trialys.fr wrote:
>  >> Hello,
>  >>
>  >> I was previously using Freenx and was able to:
>  >>
>  >> 1. automatically reconnect to a suspended session (maximum one
>  >> concurrent session per user)
>  >> 2. automatically disconnect a session from a terminal when
>  >> reconnecting from a new one.
>  >>
>  >> and having recently installed x2go on Ubuntu 9.10 I don't get the same
>  >> results ( a new session is created each time).
>  >> Is there some configuration to do (some equivalent of node.conf)?
>  >
>  >
>  >We are testing on Hardy (Ubuntu 8.0.4) and are about to move to Lenny.
>  >In our case, we find T no longer brings up the terminate or
>  >disconnect dialog. However, the X2Go client has a suspend option that
>  >is working fine for us. It just cannot be done from within the X2Go
>  >session - a bit unfortunate when in full screen mode. If there is a way,
>  >would someone kindly let us know. For now, we simply return to the X2Go
>  >client on the physical desktop and click on Suspend - John
>
> Hello John,
> Hello Oliver,
>
> with the command:
>
> # x2gosuspend-session $X2GO_SESSION
>
> (executed on the server inside your session) you can suspend your
> session. It is also possible to use the packages "x2gognomebindings" and
> "x2gokdebindings" (please don't forget to run updatelockbutton) to get
> this function inside your session graphically.
<snip>
Hmm . . . We created a desktop icon to call x2gosuspend-session-gnome
and it works very well. However, we encourage users to activate their
screen saver whenever they walk away from their desk.  Now, when they
click on the lock desktop button, instead of going to screen saver, the
session is suspended! Am I correct to guess that is the purpose of
updatelockbutton - reassign the lock button to suspend rather than
screen saver? Am I also correct to assume that, if we had not run
updatelockbutton, our desktop icon would still work and we would have
our screen saver lock button?

Finally, how do we un-updatelockbutton :)  ?

Well . . . I suppose I can read the script and figure that out myself,
eh? Indeed, mv kdesktop_lock{,.x2go};mv kdesktop_lock{.bc,} restored my
screen saver lock button and the X2Go-Suspend icon still works just
fine! - John