[X2go-dev] x2go with likewise-open (ldap) questions

Neil W. Hunt nwhunt at vsticorp.com
Fri Dec 17 17:27:29 CET 2010

John,

we are a software development organization, mainly Java-based, and like most organizations we predominantly have full Windows desktops for all of our users. We are looking to move towards a Linux-based thin client environment in the following way:
-we've been evaluating x2go vs. FreeNX and while both are extremely performant and desktop-like experiences, the audio support from x2go has pushed us this way
-we predominantly deploy our applications on Linux, so by running Ubuntu as our desktop environment it's less change from dev to prod
-we want to be able to more quickly roll out new software development tools so by having a standardized desktop environment that can be controlled centrally, it makes it much easier to do this
-obviously we want to save money and by purchasing very thin desktop units and an open-source host OS such as Ubuntu, and convincing people that most of the functionality they require with the traditional MS Office suite can be found with OpenOffice, we see potentially dramatic cost savings
-we are tying it into our Active Directory (hence all my Likewise questions) so it was imperative we got that working, which now we do
-we are in the process of evaluating the x2gothinclient environment and trying to network boot into an x2go client. Right now, we just have a light Ubuntu OS on the local disk with a full screen windowing system that basically creates a kiosk mode and loads the x2go client full screen, so end users don't even know there's an OS underneath. But we really would like to move to the netboot environment, alleviate the need for local disks, and run the x2gothinclient settings - so you might hear from me again soon!

I just spoke to our CTO about how helpful you've all been and we're feeling very good about x2go and the community in general. If we could help with a donation or something like that, is there anything in particular that would helpful to you all?

Neil