[X2go-dev] x2go with likewise-open (ldap) questions

Neil W. Hunt nwhunt at vsticorp.com
Wed Dec 15 20:51:01 CET 2010

Ivan,

Thanks, I really appreciate your suggestions.

*********************
>Please, provide more information about all versions that you use. For
>example, I'm using X2goclient 3.01-13 under Windows7 as client, because the
>latest version 3.01-14 doesn't work.

I am using 3.01-08 for Ubuntu as client. This is the one that downloads by default from the debian library. I have also tried it with 3.01-04 for Windows and for Mac, but same results. I will try 3.03-13 and see if there are any differences, but I doubt it.

**********************

>1. Change your ssh logging by changing inside file: /etc/ssh/sshd_config -
>LogLevel INFO change to LogLevel DEBUG3
>Then watch the authentication log: tail -f /var/log/auth.log .And login again
>(I know that you said that it authenticate successfully, still check this out)

I changed this and now have more info. I still cannot see any differences in the login messages between the two messages. I tried attaching each log file, but the list said I needed approval to send something with attachments of 200K.

*******************

>2. Login locally on the Ubuntu server with: USERNAME at DOMAIN (although you
>can't see them through gdm or kdm), if you can successfully login to the
>domain locally. If you have troubles with that, then the problem is with
>likewise. BTW, are you using likewise-open? How you've configured it? Using
>domainjoin-gui? Can you see from System -> Administration -> Active
>Directory Membership. (You can see that with Local user of Ubuntu).

I can login locally as a LW user no problem, it shows the full gdm desktop. I am using Likewise-Open 6.0 and joined using domainjoin-gui

*******************

>3. Try to login with SSH client (like putty for windows) using again
>USERNAME at DOMAIN, and the password. Then check if this login is successful.

Have done this as well and there are no issues, perfectly successful login as a LW user.

*****************

>4. If authentication is good, but there is blank/black screen, then try
>another: OS, Client, Client version. As I said above, the latest version
>doesn't work in my scenario. Hint: Don't try to connect with client from the
>same server, as it is not possible. If you use Windows, try to find other
>OS, install other (virtual if possible) Windows, Linux, whatever is easy for
>you.

Again, I have tried it with clients on Linux, Mac, Windows, all the same result: full GDM desktop with audio for local accounts, blank screen (but all successful messages in the log) for LW/LDAP users.

BTW, as I'm fearing that if/when I get this issue resolved with the black screen showing up, that I will then have the audio problems, I will add these comments:
-I have Likewise Open setup to connect to our domain as the Default Domain, thus all of our uid's do not use the format DOMAIN\user. Before, we all used these IDs, but since we currently only have one domain, I have set LW to use the default domain and so now we can login with just "user". This also affects our directories and thus my .x2go sessions look like:
/home/local/DOMAIN/nwhunt/.x2go/C-nwhunt-51-1292422868_stDGNOME_dp32 rather than /home/local/DOMAIN/nwhunt/.x2go/C-DOMAIN\nwhunt-51-1292422868_stDGNOME_dp32
And within that directory are indeed the pulse audio files you mentioned were NOT there when you included the ~/.x2go/C-DOMAIN\userid-....
.pulse-client.conf
.pulse-cookie

I will report back if I find anything more.

This e-mail and any attachments are for the intended recipient(s) only and may contain proprietary, confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, (even if the email address above is yours) do not use, retain, copy or disclose any part of this communication or any attachment as it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete. This email may be a personal communication from the sender and as such does not represent the views of the company.