[X2go-dev] x2go with likewise-open (ldap) questions

Ivan Boyadzhiev ivancho.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 07:28:23 CET 2010

Hi Neil

> I am actually struggling with the exact scenario as Ivan is involved with
> here. Unfortunately, I'm not quite to where you are yet, so according to you
> more troubles loom on the horizon re: audio. We are trying to use x2go with
> Likewise Open connected to our corporate Active Directory and based upon
> your suggestion here, I've changed the id of the local group x2gousers to my
> LDAP group ID for x2gousers group in our corporate groups, in /etc/group and
> now my users in my LDAP group are able to authenticate successfully.

I'm glad that this works at your side as well!

>  However, when connecting as an LDAP user via Likewise, I only get a
> blank/black screen upon session start. The session is active and shows as
> being connected (I see the user listed when I run "who"), but I can't do or
> see anything in that user's x2go session window. Whereas when I use a local
> user, it brings me right to a GNOME desktop and I can use it as normal with
> full audio. If you can help me figure this out, I can move onto the next
> issue which will be getting audio for Likewise LDAP users, which I see is
> where Ivan is stuck now as well. If we can get these last two issues
> resolved, we intend to roll this out on a much larger scale at our
> organization as well as demo it to a much larger audience at our parent
> company.

Please, provide more information about all versions that you use. For
example, I'm using X2goclient 3.01-13 under Windows7 as client, because the
latest version 3.01-14 doesn't work.

You have to investigate deeper. Try these tips:

1. Change your ssh logging by changing inside file: /etc/ssh/sshd_config -
LogLevel INFO change to LogLevel DEBUG3
Then watch the authentication log: tail -f /var/log/auth.log .And login
again
(I know that you said that it authenticate successfully, still check this
out)

2. Login locally on the Ubuntu server with: USERNAME at DOMAIN (although you
can't see them through gdm or kdm), if you can successfully login to the
domain locally. If you have troubles with that, then the problem is with
likewise. BTW, are you using likewise-open? How you've configured it? Using
domainjoin-gui? Can you see from System -> Administration -> Active
Directory Membership. (You can see that with Local user of Ubuntu).

3. Try to login with SSH client (like putty for windows) using again
USERNAME at DOMAIN, and the password. Then check if this login is successful.

4. If authentication is good, but there is blank/black screen, then try
another: OS, Client, Client version. As I said above, the latest version
doesn't work in my scenario. Hint: Don't try to connect with client from the
same server, as it is not possible. If you use Windows, try to find other
OS, install other (virtual if possible) Windows, Linux, whatever is easy for
you.

Bottom line: It seem to be client problem, but you need to do further
investigations to find out.

Best Regards
Ivan