[X2go-dev] PyHoca-GUI (graphical Python X2go client) ready for testing, only for the braves...

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sun Dec 12 20:37:21 CET 2010

Hi Gerry,

On So 12 Dez 2010 19:28:22 CET Gerry Reno wrote:

> On 12/12/2010 11:33 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> On Fr 10 Dez 2010 12:33:17 CET Mike Gabriel wrote:
>>
>>> I have just packaged our (Dick Kniep and Mike Gabriel, supported by
>>> feedback and design items from Heinz and Alex) first draft of the
>>> graphical X2go client ,,Pyhoca-GUI''. The development currently is
>>> progressing very fast as it gets sponsored by Dick's company
>>> lindix.nl. Thanks a lot for that!!!
>>>
>>> You can download the package (and dependencies) for testing from here
>>> (please choose your distro and version):
>>>
>>> deb http://packages.das-netzwerkteam.de/debian squeeze main
>>> deb http://packages.das-netzwerkteam.de/debian sid main
>>> deb http://packages.das-netzwerkteam.de/ubuntu lucid main
>>> deb http://packages.das-netzwerkteam.de/ubuntu maverick main
>>>
>>> After adding one of the above lines, simply do:
>>>
>>> apt-get update
>>> apt-get install pyhoca-gui
>>
>> Since this announcement post quite a few things have happened:
>>
>>   o Brian Mullan made me aware of the GCONF backend of x2goclient_gtk.
>> I only
>>     worked with the Qt x2goclient and was not aware of the GTK client
>> using a
>>     different config backend (GCONF). Currently these GCONF session
>> profiles
>>     are not seen by pyhoca-gui, only plaintext session profiles in
>>     ~/.x2goclient/sessions are seen.
>>
>>     If you want to test pyhoca-gui, please install x2goclient (Qt
>> version),
>>     create a session profile from there and then run pyhoca-gui.
>>
>>     A gconf backend (as well as a Windows registry backend for the
>> Windows
>>     version) is on the TODO list, but without a milestone yet.
>>
>>   o On Friday night I added RDP-through-X2go-Proxy support into
>> PyHoca-GUI.
>>     Thus, you can now also run as RDP configured sessions from PyHoca-GUI
>>
>>   o For Ubuntu lucid (and maybe also Debian squeeze) there was a
>> dependency
>>     problem with my backported python-gevent package. This has also
>> been fixed.
>>
>> Greets,
>> Mike
>>
> Mike,
>     I thought that Heinz said the GTK client was deprecated and that all
> new development would be with the Qt client.  Has that changed?
>
> Regards,
> Gerry

Maybe the GTK client is deprecated, but we should maybe indeed think
about continuing GCONF support. As the GTK client provides a storage
format for GCONF, it will be easy to use that from Python X2go. Python
X2go will be very flexible concerning backends (session backends,
profile backends etc.). In the near future I will add command-line
options that let you choose which backend to choose (e.g. for session
profiles).

Greets,

mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de