[X2go-dev] SSH and Performance

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Tue Apr 13 15:09:45 CEST 2010

Michael Hierweck schreef:
> Hi everybody,
>
> we have been trying x2go for about a year now both on our thin clients
> and as a remote access solution.
>
> On our thin clients (both legacy Intel Pentium-III 1 GHz and modern
> Intel Atom 330) it appears a lot of CPU power is consumed by ssh.
> Especially while both animations and sounds are played the play back is
> sometimes interrupted due to the lack of CPU performance.
>
> So we temporarily switched back to plain remote X11 (without compression
> and encryption) for our thin clients while sticking to x2go for remote
> access.
>
> Nevertheless x2go seem to be designed for both purposes.
>
> I would like to ask if someone else can confirm this and if the is a
> workaround. Maybe it will be possible to skip encryption for local use
> in a future version in order to be able save CPU time and even energy.
> (Of course x2go uses ssh for both security and port forwarding.)
>
> There shouldn't be a complaint but a starting point to discuss this topic.

I am using NX-based solutions for many years (most of them are still
FreeNX), and I have also seen problems with animations (most of the time
websites with flash). In my opinion it are no problems on the client,
but problems on the server. I am not sure, but I think there are limits
on resources per-user in NX.

I expect that when you try a fast client, you will have the same
problems. Try a website with a big format flash film.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/