[X2go-dev] OT: Sound issues

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Apr 3 14:06:35 CEST 2010

Hello, all.  We're having quite a struggle with sound in X2Go.  I don't
believe it is an X2Go issue as some applications, e.g, Kaffeine using
Xine, work perfectly well.  I think it is a Lenny + Pulseaudio + KDE3 +
arts issue but, since that is a very typical X2Go setup, I thought I'd
ask here.

We're finding it very hit and miss when it comes to sound.  Kaffeine
works but Noatun does not.  Sometimes flash plays sound across the X2Go
connection and sometimes it does not.  We never get other browser sounds
(e.g., our Zimbra "pings" when there is new mail or a new IM).  We began
to get Twinklephone working but then it stopped (something has obviously
changed in our environment and we're still tracking that down).

We've started to really hack away at asound.conf (perhaps also hampered
by the fact that there is no sound device in the server itself) but, I
am always hesitant to move very far away from defaults for fear that I
have overlooked something obvious.  Good solutions generally work
simply.  What issues have other X2Go users found with sound and how have
you resolved them? Thanks - John