[X2go-dev] GNOME does not initialize correctly: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session

Oleksandr Shneyder oleksandr.shneyder at obviously-nice.de
Tue Apr 14 08:27:45 CEST 2009

Paul Menzel schrieb:
> Dear list,
>

> I am running Debian Sid on the server and the x2goclient_gtk. Since some
> time (I think January 2009) the GNOME session does not start anymore and
> I can just see the background picture. Unfortunately I do not know what
> has changed on the system.
>
> Starting only a terminal or another program works.
>
> I get this in /var/log/user.log.
>
> Apr 13 17:02:18 hostname bonobo-activation-server (name-8129): could not
> associate with desktop session: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus
> session: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
>
> The GNOME option seems to just run gnome-session. I did not find where
> this is specified. I tried to use an own command (Eigener Befehl)
>
> /usr/bin/dbus-launch /usr/bin/gnome-session
>
> (also with quotes) but got an error message. Starting a terminal and
> running this command worked though.
>
> You can find the version of the programs installed on the server at the
> end of this message.
>
> Do you have a solution for this problem?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Paul

Hello Paul,

I don't know which command start Sid to launch gnome. I had the same
problem on opensuse. Solution was to launch /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
instead of gnome-session.

If you say, that /usr/bin/dbus-launch /usr/bin/gnome-session work, you
can create start script /usr/bin/start-gnome:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/dbus-launch /usr/bin/gnome-session

and start it instead of gnome-session.

IMPORTANT: do not launch it with "Single application" (Anwendung) in
x2goclient, but with "Custom" (Eigener)

--
Oleksandr Shneyder
Dipl. Informatik