[X2Go-Commits] [[X2Go Wiki]] page added: wiki:advanced:x2gokdrive:start
wiki-admin at x2go.org
wiki-admin at x2go.org
Wed Dec 19 18:23:21 CET 2018
A page in your DokuWiki was added or changed. Here are the details:
Date : 2018/12/19 17:23
Browser : Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.110 Safari/537.36
IP-Address : 184.108.40.206
Hostname : ipbcc0cd96.dynamic.kabel-deutschland.de
Old Revision: ---
New Revision: https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:advanced:x2gokdrive:start
Edit Summary: created
User : ncryer
====== X2Go KDrive ======
===== What is X2Go KDrive ? =====
X2Go KDrive is a new kdrive X Server for X2Go. It could be used instead of x2goagent. X2Go KDrive works similar to Xephyr and based on it's code. It won't replace x2goagent, users will be able to chose if they want to run their sessions in x2goagent or in X2Go KDrive.
===== Why do we need X2Go KDrive? =====
The main reason - we want to be able to run modern desktops such as Unity, KDE-5, Gnome-3 and the applications built with the latest toolkits without limitations.
is the difference between x2goagent and X2Go KDrive =====
x2goagent (or nxagent) is based on NX technologies. It's basically kind of X-proxy (like Xnest). It accepting X-protocol requests from X-Client and forwarding them to remote X-Server. In opposite, X2Go KDrive is a real X-Server (like Xephyr). It's processing the requests from X-Client and rendering images on the remote display, like normal X-Server rendering them into the graphic display, using the video driver. You could say, that the difference between x2goagent and X2Go KDrive it's the same as difference between Xnest and Xephyr.
===== Advantages of x2goagent =====
NX-Protocol using the network transparency of X-protocol. It mean's that instead of sending images over network, it sending the X-requests like "create window" or "move window from one position to another" or "write text in the window". So if you running legacy X-applications, it'll work much faster on the slow networks, than protocols, which are transferring
images between server and client.
===== Advantages of X2Go KDrive =====
==== 1. X2Go KDrive based on the recent X.Org code ====
Unlike the NX-libraries, which are based on obsolete X.Org-6, X2Go KDrive is based on the recent X.Org-7. It brings multiply advantages:
* We can run without any limitations any modern Desktops and applications.
* We don't need to support obsolete X code, which makes the development and support much easier.
==== 2. X2Go KDrive is a real X-Server ====
If x2goagent is just a proxy between X-Servers on the server and client sides, X2Go KDrive is a standalone X-Server. It brings a lot of advantages over NX-protocol:
* We don't need an X-Server on the client side. This is a main advantage. If we want to use NX-Libraries, we always need a fully functional X-Server on client, like XQuartz on Mac or VCXsrv on Windows. X-applications are not native to this OS and are always the source of many troubles. Another OS, like Android or IOS, doesn't have any usable
X-Server software at all. Using X2Go KDrive we can avoid this issue and build native clients for any platform and even develop HTML5 client.
* The X2Go KDrive architecture is better suited for the modern application like Firefox or Chromium. This applications are developed to run on different platforms and using cross-platform graphic libraries like Skia. Modern browsers and some other applications working much better with X2Go KDrive than with NX.
===== How X2Go KDrive works=====
X2Go KDrive works similar to Xephyr with only difference, that it's not rendering frames in the X-window but transferring them instead over the network to x2gokdriveclient. x2gokdriveclient running on the client computer, rendering the frames, capturing the input events and sending them back to the server.
===== How to use X2Go KDrive =====
x2gokdriveclient and x2gokdrive binaries are made to be compatible with nxproxy and x2goagent. You can just rename x2gokdriveclient to nxproxy and x2gokdrive to
x2goagent and start the X2Go session using X2Go Client. It works only if X2Go Client is running on Linux. The versions of X2Go Client and X2Go Server, which can run parallel x2goagent and X2Go KDrive sessions are coming soon.
**Please keep in mind:**
* This is not a stable software.
* Use it on your own risk and don't use it in productive environment.
* At the moment it's only a preview version. We assume you know how X2Go works and you know what are you doing.
We don't have a binary builds yet. If you want to try it, you need to build it by yourself or wait until binary packages are ready.
Or just take a look at screenshots:
KDE-5 on Open SUSE Leap 42.3
x2gokdriveclient display menu
Gnome-3 in SLE-classic mode on SLES
Gnome-3 in modern look on Debian Stretch.
===== How to build X2Go KDrive =====
download the x2gokdrive from git:
We assuming, that you are familiar with make, Xorg and know how to build software from sources.
You'll need a xorg-server sources (1.19.2), zlib, libpng and libjpeg.
Configure Xorg to build xkdrive and start a build process (make). After that copy x2gokdrive directories in
''xorg-server/hw/kdrive'', than change to ''xorg-server/hw/kdrive/x2gokdrive'' and run ''make x2go''. This should build x2gokdrive binary.
The simplest way to build x2gokdrive if you are using your system source packages. I'll give some examples for Debian, SLE12sp1 and OpenSUSE Leap 42.3
==== Debain Stretch ====
* Install apt-source, and get source for xorg-server ''apt-build source xorg-server''
* Go to the source directory and build
it with ''dpkg-buildpackage''
* Copy x2gokdrive sources to ''xorg-server-1.19.2/hw/kdrive/''
* Create directory 'x2gokdrive' in ''xorg-server-1.19.2/debian/build/main/hw/kdrive/''
* Link Makefile from ''xorg-server-1.19.2/hw/kdrive/x2gokdrive'' to ''xorg-server-1.19.2/debian/build/main/hw/kdrive/x2gokdrive''
* Go to ''xorg-server-1.19.2/debian/build/main/hw/kdrive/x2gokdrive'' and run ''make x2go''
==== SLES 12SP1 or OpenSUSE Leap 42.3 ====
* Download xorg-server SRPM for your system and install it
* Install all dependencies you need to build xorg-server
* Build xorg-server from SPEC file
* Copy x2gokdrive sources to ''BUILD/xorg-server-<your version>/hw/kdrive''
* You'll need apply a patch for your system: ''patch -p1 < patches/osuse_42.3.patch'' or ''patch -p1 < patches/sles12sp1.patch''
* Build binary: ''make x2go''
===== How to build x2gokdrive client =====
To build x2gokdriveclient you'll need QT-5.
* Get it from git:
* Build it like any qt project: ''qmake && make''
===== What X2Go KDrive already can do =====
* Works with recent desktops and software
* Supports SW 3D acceleration
* Supports RANDR, works with multiply desktops in window and full screen modes
* Supports JPEG and PNG compression
* Supports frame caching
* Can recognize windows scrolling and doesn't transfer frame areas, which are already in cache.
* Works with 3D acceleration (if you are using Virtual GL)
* Has QT client for Linux and Windows (Mac client not ready yet, but it's not complicated, only keyboard encoding is missing)
===== What need to be done (sorted by priority) =====
* Proper build scripts and integration with jenkins
* Support in X2Go Client and X2Go Server (it's actually done, just need to discus how we'll integrate it in our builds)
* Clipboard support
* Mac client
* Different optimizations for
slow networks, frame dropping, etc
* Video encodings
* HTML5 client
This mail was generated by DokuWiki at
More information about the x2go-commits